Thursday, February 18, 2010

Fresh Water

So, day two of this Lent study is experiencing life without clean water. A challenge to go 12 hours... just twelve, without water. Nothing water based or mixed with water. That means from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. no water, no coffee, no tea, no soup (which is on my menu tonight for supper!), I think I should have planned better! lol

I knew from looking ahead what today would bring. And I surprised myself when I stopped to think about the magnitude of such a problem. Something we take for granted, yet learning to live without clean water. Before I went to bed I didn't review the 'rules' for today so I had no idea how many hours. If it was indeed 24 hours, an entire day..... or just 12 hours.

And I began to get thirsty!

I drank an extra glass of water before bed (which by the way had my bladder aching when my feet hit the floor this morning!) lol And then I found myself already making excuses when I got up. So aware of what my day was going to involve. Saying to myself, 'Well, if it's 24 hours, I'll go 24 hours from 8 a.m. till 8 a.m. tomorrow.'

So I drank another glass of water as soon as I was done in the bathroom. ;) I realized how desperate I was becoming. I just don't know if this is a good exercise for today. 'kinda silly' I tried to tell myself.

And then God reminded me of why.... Why I was becoming desperate. Why I was so thirsty. I don't want to fail at this. I remember the faces of the children I saw in Haiti. I remember the site of the old man drinking from a puddle on the side of the road. I see the faces of children through others' blogs on their missions in Africa....

I can't drink.

Lucky for me it's only a 12 hour test. And right now I desperately want a big glass of ice water! I don't even drink a lot of water in a normal day. Not as much as I should. But today is something that will keep my mind focused on Him. As I focus on Him, I know He will direct my thoughts to the ones I truly need to help. Not myself.

FACT:
A child dies every 21 seconds from
a water-related disease.
This amounts to nearly 6000 deaths,
or the equivalent of 20 jumbo jets
crashing....everyday.

How humbling... sure makes my Dr. Pepper seem like a silly thing to give up for Lent.

I'm so very thankful for the blessings that abound in my life. Help me Lord to recognize even those tiniest of blessings that I take for granted to easily. Help me to be your hands and feet that more people may be aware and that we may work to bring water to those who need it most. Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to say...can't wait to read that book---and I'm SOOOO ever thankful for you sweet sister. Thankful how the Lord bonds sisters in Christ who have both prayed "break my heart for what breaks yours". The results are NOT fun...but the life is full. Holding hands with you today sister. Love you.

    ReplyDelete