Monday, January 25, 2010

[ Unbelievable... ]

Seriously.... some days I think I'm surrounded by people I don't even know anymore. It's popping up everywhere as people's facebook status:

America: the only country where we have homeless without shelter, children going to bed without eating, elderly going without needed meds, and mentally ill without treatment - yet we have a benefit for the people of Haiti on 12 TV stations. Not that I am against helping Haiti...but what about our own suffering and needy people?


I think if I hear comments like this one more time I may SCREAM... Literally! I have posted a note before about this very subject but just feel the need to rebuke yet another ignorant post. Where we are born is not our choice. I don't call myself American, I don't call my friends Haitian. I am a child of God. We are all God's children and ALL deserve the same respect and help from our fellow man. I won't bombard you with scripture verse after verse AFTER VERSE about how we are commanded to help the less fortunate. We live in America. One of the most advanced and prosperous countries in the entire world. We do not live in the 'norm'. We are the exception to the rule. The majority of the world's population are MUCH LESS fortunate. HOWEVER.......

Just to put everyone's minds to rest (and hopefully their fingers.....)

The Homeless Situation:
Yes, we held benefits for Haiti.
Celebrities also support the following AMERICAN AID for homeless
HELP USA
PROJECT HOME
CHILDREN IN NEED
CHRYSALIS
CHILDRENS LIFESAVING FOUNDATION

(These are just a few of the top ones I found)

The Hunger Situation:
Yes, we held benefits for Haiti.
Celebrities also support the following AMERICAN AID for hunger
FEEDING AMERICA
FOOD FOR THE HUNGRY
CITY HARVEST
END HUNGER NETWORK
SHARE OUR STRENGTH

(These are just a few of the top ones I found)

The Medical Situation:
Yes, we held benefits for Haiti.
Celebrities also support the following AMERICAN AID for medically deprived
ST JUDE CHILDRENS RESEARCH (One of my favorites)
UNITED WAY
(seriously I think we could all name health causes... some of our local resources provide aid to our own local seniors regarding health care, medications and life alerts... I've worked with them!)

We have had benefits for Haiti because due to a natural disaster they experienced TOTAL and MASS destruction in their country. Their experienced a death toll of over 200,000 people! That is more than DOUBLE the population of some of our major cities including Kansas City, MO; Springfield, IL; Stamford, CT; Waco, TX; Topeka, KS. Imagine these cities being obliterated! Completely and totally destroyed with not one remaining survivor. This is why Haiti received such attention. Not because it's a third world country less than 200 miles off the coast of Florida. Not because they live on less than $1.00 per day, not because it's the poorest country in the western hemisphere. It received attention because there are still people in the world with compassion.

A little research would enlighten those doubting thomas' about our lack of effort to help our own country. I just wish everyone would stop complaining about it and get off their duff and HELP SOMEONE! ANYONE! It doesn't matter who they are. Just find something to do besides complain about those of us who choose to help.

5 comments:

  1. Just an example of other countries helping the US - In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, over 70 countries pledged monetary donations or other assistance. Notably, Cuba and Venezuela (both hostile to US government themselves) were the first countries to offer assistance, pledging over $1 million, several mobile hospitals, water treatment plants, canned food, bottled water, heating oil, 1,100 doctors and 26.4 metric tons of medicine, though this aid was rejected by the U.S. government. Kuwait made the largest single pledge, $500 million; other large donations were made by Qatar and United Arab Emirates (each $100 million), South Korea ($30 million), Australia ($10 million), India, China (both $5 million), New Zealand ($2 million), Pakistan ($1.5 million), and Bangladesh ($1 million). Following the reasoning of the facebook post, we should have rejected all aid because that might obligate up to help someone in the future. Just trying to following the twisted logic implied in the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol ;) Go look at my status now girlfriend! I love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen sister friend...great post..kj

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMEN AMEN AMEN.........that is the only word I need to say. Bless you my new friend. CC

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes! Different topic, but same vein...someone leaving me nasty facebook comments for adopting from Ethiopia instead of America.

    sigh.

    ReplyDelete