Wednesday, January 27, 2010

[ Having PEACE ]

How important is having peace in your life? Recently Joyce Meyer did a lesson on 'peace'.

(this is my tiny disclaimer: views on this blog may or may not agree with someone else's. Form your own opinions and do what you believe to be true. I don't personally enjoy Joyce Meyer or support her ministry but that's a blog for another time.) ;o)
It was said that having PEACE in your life is sometimes more important than being right. Hmmm.... I beg to differ Ms. Meyer. 1 Peter tells me differently.

Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
-1 Peter 3:13-17

I've been struggling with this lately. So many points I've posted to my blog. I definitely have been praying for the 'gentleness and respect' part of that verse to come through my voice and my personality. Because at times, as humans, we can lose control of our emotions. Certain things will spark an emotion and lately those emotions have not been good for me. I pray for guidance, I pray for that 'Peace'.

But at the same time I've ask God for the direction He would lead me in dealing with situations or people that have said mean, spiteful, selfish things. Should I keep the peace and let it go. Or am I passing up an opportunity to share the love of Christ? The good news He has given us in His word. Am I missing the opportunity He may be providing me to "make disciples of all nations." Because obviously sometimes you have to start right in your own backyard. There are definitely people around me that need God in their lives. Am I being gentle and showing respect at the same time I'm sharing His word?

I've prayed for these things. I've prayed for the wisdom to know which direction He would have me take. Asking for the words to share His message in a more eloquent way than I seem to be doing lately. Because right now.... right now I'm hurt. I'm disgusted. I'm angry. And it's getting old. Yes, there is the situation with Haiti that hurts my soul. Yet, we all know (if we're being honest at least) that there are many things that can seem to pile up on us when we least expect it and it's just been one of those times. We like to post our shiny, sunny side of life posts about our children and our wonderful husbands and our awesome lifestyles of happiness and joy, but we all have those days that come. They blindside us and knock our feet out from under us.

How we cope with them is different from person to person. I cope MUCH better than I used to. And here it comes again Diane.... I pray. I pray a lot. ;o) When it gets to be too much, I stop what I'm doing, I close my eyes, I cry out to my Lord. I cry.... these are the times I know He is closer than ever. He wipes away the tears. He lifts me up, brushes me off and tells me how to get back out there and do what I know is right.

So, that's my question to you. Do you have Peace? Is it because you depend on your Lord, or is it because you learn to avoid the hard stuff? I want to face the hard stuff. I want to knock it out of my way, I want to destroy it!

I want others to know the security and the peace I have found. I want others to learn to trust and see the good in people before they see the bad. Someone commented recently "if your kids were starving you wouldn't go buy food for the neighbors kids and feed them first." What a sad analogy. This is the attitude that we need to share Christ with. These are the people we can't turn away from because these are the people who need us most. These are the people we are to be an example too. My answer to that very question..... sure I'd feed the neighbors kids. I'd share equally anything I had. It may mean just a little bit less for my children but that little less is a lot more than nothing to the 'neighbors'. And believe it or not, I distinctly remember a verse about that too! "Love your neighbor as yourself....." Oh how quickly people forget when it involves selfish gain.

It worries me that these 'grown up' attitudes will again be multiplied and rebuilt through children. When in fact, we can all take lessons from our children. They are much wiser than we are. They love unconditionally, they see someone in need and long to fill the void. They're eager to save the world with reckless abandon and no one has to teach this to them. Where does that spirit go and when do some people lose it? I pray that if you lost it, you will find it again. You will find Christ. I pray that I hold onto it and am strong enough to never, EVER let go, even when others discourage my behavior.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Great post. There are many times with our adoption that we have encountered very ugly attitudes. Sometimes I rebuke them and refer to what God is doing in our lives and that we are all called to help the least of these. Other times I just pray that their eyes will be opened by God, because there are times I realize that I could argue until I am blue in the face, but it will not do any good. Only God can change their hearts. It is definitely a weird balance and sometimes I wonder if I have done the right thing and I pray about it. So, I know exactly what you are feeling.
    Blessings,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy! Lately it's been feelings about adoption, Haiti, an assortment of things! All rolled into one. One of the girls mentioned getting bad comments about adopting from Africa instead of America. I've learned over the past few days how to finally respond to such silly questions.... "Because that's where God sent me." We know in our hearts what God is asking us to do, I shouldn't have to justify it to mortal man.

    ReplyDelete