Friday, November 5, 2010

What Will You Do?

November is National Adoption Month.  Not many know that.  I didn't know that until a year and a half ago.  I wanted to learn about all the things I could do and the ways I could advocate for the orphan.  Not because it was a new found hobby or because I had considered adoption (because at that point I hadn't).  But because I met some people.  Some little people......and God stirred my heart.

To look into little round faces with big brown eyes and discover I knew nothing about what it was like to be hungry when I complain "I'm starving!  Let's eat!".  I discovered I knew nothing about not having a place to come home to, because my home has always been there.  I discovered a lot of things about myself that I realized looking back on, I didn't like very much.

I was a spoiled American with a roof over my head, a soft warm bed to sleep in EVERY night, I had a refrigerator always loaded with food.  Even food I didn't like and would probably throw away when it spoiled.  I had more clothes than I knew what to do with (still do.....), I had a HOT shower and a toilet with running water.  But most of all, I was surrounded by people who love me.  Who have loved me from the start.  I have never known what it felt like to be alone, to fend for myself, to wonder what it was like to have people care for me when I'm sick or hurting.  I was allowed to be a child.  To run freely in my backyard playing with pets, toys, whatever I'd been given as birthday gifts.  I was given an education (even if I didn't want it, lol) and told I could become anything I wanted if I worked hard and set my mind to it.  I was privileged.  And I use that term loosely.  You see, we weren't rich financially but we were very blessed and I never knew just how much.

So you see, I learned what God was talking about when He said:

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’
~ Matthew 25:40 ~


And what He meant when He said:

I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
~ John 14:18 ~


I learned what this thing 'adoption' is really all about:

he predestined us for adoption to sonship through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—
~ Ephesians 1:5 ~


And the importance of 'adoption' on so many levels.  I'd read the words in my bible many times.  But never really looked at the true meaning of adoption.

Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies
~ Romans 8:23 ~

Realizing now, why my own adoption through Christ is so important, how could I have been so nonchalant about earthly adoption?  About being a true example of what Christ did for us, by having an opportunity to be that same example to a child, an orphan, on His earth.  HIS children.  About giving everything I have to help even just one.

He gave His all..... His everything...... HIS SON.  If only to save just one soul.  My soul.  Yet it was for many.

I want to celebrate, advocate, I want to give my all to 'defend the cause of the fatherless'.   Because those same children I want to help, are some of the same children who have shown me just how much you can have, when you have nothing at all.  If I have Christ, that is enough.

With 147 MILLION orphans in the world, what are you waiting for?  What will YOU do?  Will you [pray]?  Will you [give]?  Will you [go]?  I designed these shirts for Orphan Sunday and they are available for sale through our adoption advocacy organization, Joint Heirs Adoption Ministry.  All proceeds from the sale of these shirts will go toward an orphan ministry.  (I'll update you more on that surprise later!)  My family will all be sporting our shirts to church this Sunday, Orphan Sunday, November 7th.

 



Will you Pray?? 
That is certainly doable.
When you lay your head down on your comfy pillow,
snuggle in your nice soft bed under those plush warm blankets...
after reading your children a bed time story
and lovingly tucking them in at night...
Will you pray??
For those that have spent the day the exact same way they've spent every day before.
For those that have barely enough to eat and go to bed hungry.
For those that lay on the dirt under the bed of their parents because that's the safest place to be?
For those laying on a piece of plywood because that's easiest to clean?
For the ones who have cried or rocked themselves to sleep on their knees?





Can you give? Can you take some of the money you spend at Starbucks...or McDonalds? 
Can you give up buying that new pair of designer jeans?
Do we really need a minimum of 12 pairs of shoes?
Not sure where to give?  Contact me.
There are tons of ways to support orphans.  I can give you a dozen charities to give to...
that work in any country you want to support.







OR WILL YOU BE ONE TO GO?????

Who! Hoo!

Will you say YES??!! 

Will you choose to follow God's example and adopt a child of your own?

Will you choose changing the life of a child over...

a bigger house?  that new car??  your dream vacation???

Will you chose radical over the American Dream?

I can assure you, you won't ever be sorry!



PURCHASE YOUR SHIRT BY USING THE BUY BUTTON BELOW:


Size:
i will...



Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. My wife, Chris and I have adopted 5, You need to read Radical by David Platt! What an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Steve! =) I've read the Radical book and share it with others. ;) Yes, it's a must-read in my opinion too! You should listen to David's podcasts with weekly sermons. Gotta love Mr. Platt. ♥

    ReplyDelete