Tuesday, May 14, 2013

*UPDATE* Journey to Jemma has taken a Twist....

*UPDATE* Scroll to the bottom of this post for an exciting update!  :)

Our friends Jack and Joy Stotts have recently traveled to China to pick up their daughter Jemma!  What a joyous occasion and a special trip it has been.  However, in the last couple of days it has taken a turn for the unexpected.  Just two days before they were scheduled for the medical appointments and Visa appointment at the US Embassy a 'suspicious envelope' with white dust/powder in it caused a chain of events that sent the embassy into lockdown.  They cancelled ALL appointments indefinitely which has left the Stotts family stuck in China.  They were scheduled to return home and arrive in Kansas City on Thursday evening.  This will not happen.  :(  As you can imagine this has led to uncertainty, frustration, disappointment and financial hardship for their family.

At this point they are trying to decide if they should go ahead and send Jack and their son Jory home as scheduled, or if they will all remain in China.  Either way, Joy and Jemma will have to remain in China until they can finalize their appointments and paperwork to obtain Jemma's visa.  No one ever said adoption was easy.  Nothing worth having ever is.  We know this is all a part of God's plan and just another chapter in Jemma's adoption story, but that doesn't make it any easier.

They will incur extra expenses that they did not expect.  Rearranging flights will be costly, and the added days that Joy and Jemma will have to be held over will definitely start adding up in hotel and meal expenses.  Even with the possibility of rooming with other families who are experiencing the same situations as them, this was not something that was expected or budgeted for.

We have set up a 'paypal account' where friends, family and brothers and sisters in Christ can contribute to the Stott's family as they feel led.  Those closest to the Stotts, or any family who has traveled the road of adoption, knows how costly (but worth it) this journey can be.  ALL money collected from your donations will be forwarded to Joy's account where they can use as they need/see fit.  If you have questions about how to donate or anything else regarding Jemma's situation please don't hesitate to ask!  We are just praying that this whole ordeal can be straightened out and the Embassy back in order asap!  We want this awesome family home with their other children, friends and church family.  Most importantly, we ask you to pray.  Even if you are unsure of what to pray for, God knows this situation and this family intimately and He hears our groanings and prayers and answers when we call.  Thank you to each and every one of you!

Simply click on the Donate Button below and you choose the amount  you wish to contribute to help the Stotts family bring Jemma home!!!

You can read more of their adoption journey at HERE.

This was Joy's facebook status as of this morning (Thursday, 05/16/2013):
Apparently emails were sent out to the families whose Visa's will be ready for pick up by 3:30 tomorrow and we did not get one. :( But perhaps they'll get to us on Saturday and we can be home the first of the week. 
Bridgett and I celebrated by walking to Shamian Island for Thai food at Cow and Bridge. For those of you that know me I have Subway in my back pack for later. Lol! She's been wanting Thai all week and I enjoyed a coke with her. :)
So, still stuck in GZ, but hopefully heading home soon!

THEN Came This Update....
we got a call that the Consulate opened at 3:30 today to process adoptive families who missed their appointments this week. Jemma and I were literally whisked into a waiting van by the bellboy, rushed to the Consulate where our guide was waiting in the lobby. She threw the paper work in our hands put us on the elevator and pushed the button and said "Go to the 5th floor." It happened that fast! All the while I'm thinking to myself, "God, you're funny! I have my consulate dress on today!"
So we had our interview! It was chaos but it is done! They are going to TRY to have our Visa's done by tomorrow. They said they would work Saturday if necessary. So, still not sure when, but Jemma and I should be home sooner rather than later!

We're not out of the woods yet, but there's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel!  Continue to pray and if you feel led you can still donate to their family with the Donate Button above.  :)  Travel arrangements still have yet to be rescheduled so we're not sure how much extra that will cost.  Thank you for supporting the Stotts family with your love, prayers and financial support!

No comments:

Post a Comment