Sunday, July 22, 2012

50 Shades of Magic

First off, let me start this post by saying some of you may be slightly (okay, a lot) offended by this.  Remember this is just my .02 and if you don't agree I'm good with that.  I just hope you're good with it.  You don't have to like it, but at least respect my opinion and thoughts and be an adult.  (i.e. keep your negativity to yourself.....if you want to discuss and debate rationally I'm all for it!)  I respect your opinion, and right to have one.  Please and thanks.....
NOW.... I have been mulling this one over in my mind for a few weeks now.  To say it's bothered me is an understatement.  You see, we haven't had television in our house (other than Netflix and Hulu plus) for about 3 months now.  We are surviving, quite nicely I might add.  No more programs that we have to monitor and block, no more beer commercials with too much boobage, and no more risque movie trailers.  Which I hadn't actually realized had gotten so out of hand until this Magic Mike craze hit and I had no idea what everyone was talking about so I decided to google it.  Oiy.  I quickly remembered why I was enjoying this 'no tv' chapter in our lives.  Then all the 50 Shades of nasty hit facebook profiles and I went back to google only to discover I'm glad I purchase my books on Amazon because if there was a Barnes and Noble close by I wouldn't want to be slapped in the face with piles of 'gray matter' upon entering my Oz.  (yes, I am that fond of bookstores....it's like fairytale land).

I have been frustrated, disgusted, disappointed and downright outraged to the point I wanted to blog about this subject but didn't quite know where to start.  Until today.  My hubby has been preaching on the Beatitudes and the Sermon on the Mount for several weeks now and today we were up to Matthew 5:27-30.  Coincidence.....I think not.  :)  God's timing is amazing as always.  His message brought my thoughts full circle and the words came I wanted to share in order to voice my opinion without just sounding like a raving lunatic full of frustration.

To save you all the trouble of looking it up in case you don't already know Matthew 5:27-30 is about adultery.  God's command for us to steer clear of things that will cause us to sin.  That if you look upon someone with lust, you have committed adultery in your heart.  Wow, that's powerful stuff.  You see, God doesn't just 'wish' we wouldn't do this, it doesn't say He 'prefers us not to'.  He commands it.  Period.  You don't tell your children I wish you wouldn't lie to me, I prefer you wouldn't talk back to me and deliberately disobey me.  We command respect and obedience from our children.  It's our job to teach them.  Our heavenly father commands us as He teaches us through His word and expects our obedience as well.  Now, I'm not saying we don't all fall short, mess us, and definitely need correction at times.  But as we learn to follow Him those times should become fewer and far between.

God clearly has no tolerance or 'gray' area of understanding when it comes to this subject.  It's one of the ten commandments and it's repeated in scripture.  Think it's important?  Yeah.  Me too.  And if you believe in the same God that I do, the same one who sent His son to die on the cross for my sins then you know all too well that He is with us, always.  If in fact He is with you would He be proud and embrace your actions, your habits, your hobbies?  The movies you watch, the programs you favor on TV, the people and places you spend your time on?  There's clearly a difference between witnessing to others and being in places and situations that are less than favorable versus being there by choice and desire.

Do not be misled: Bad company corrupts good character.
1 Corinthians 15:33

We are told to set our minds on whatever is good.......

Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.
Philipians 4:8

Our words and actions are an outward display of our inner heart.  What is your heart speaking to others?  As Christians (and yes, even if you're not.....) we will be held accountable for every careless word we speak and our actions.  Matthew 5:28 tells us that whoever looks and lusts has committed sin in your heart.  Are you lusting for Magic Mike and his buddies?

Sound 'overboard' and a little 'out there' you say.  I choose to guard my heart.  I choose to save those looks and desires in my heart for the one man God created for me.  I choose to read words of encouragement and guidance rather than things that persuade my mind and take it to places that God knows are within me.  How many Shades of Gray does it take before you turn any shade of red due to desire or even embarrassment or shame?  Or does it even make you feel shame?

Lusting for someone doesn't come from a quick glance or look of admiration.  It doesn't come from checking out a book jacket or reading a review to know if something is suitable for you to spend your time (not to mention hard earned money) on.  It comes from an extended glance and a desire that grows in your heart and mind.  Watching 110 minutes certainly seems like an extended period of time to stare at men stripping.  The sole purpose of which is to entice a woman!  To breed lustful thoughts in her heart and mind.  Seriously. Explain any other purpose to me and I'll take it under advisement!  Would a woman want her husband or boyfriend to lust after other women?  Would you want him to be tempted by watching her strip and showing her body?  Would you want your children to watch it?  Would you want them to grow up to become a stripper?  It's definitely something that I think no one would want.  No one has a child and says, 'I dream of them one day becoming a stripper.'  If you tried to tell me you wouldn't mind, I'd have to say I doubt you're being honest with me (or yourself).  What would you do if your husband made a trip to the city strip club, raved about what a great time he had on his facebook wall with his buddies and talked about how hot the girls were for WEEKS on end!?!  Be honest.....

It really gets my goat (in case you couldn't tell), and breaks my heart.  I guess what it may boil down to is do you consider and call yourself a Christian......or do you know in your heart without a doubt that you are HIS.  Because as a child of the most high God our lives should look different.

Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.  He who says, "I know Him," and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.  But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him.  By this we know that we are in Him.
1 John 2:3-5  

We have to take back our hearts.  Guard our minds.  Filter our lifestyle from things that the world has to 'offer'.  Just because Hollywood and society say it's good for us, it's hip, it's what everyone is doing doesn't make it right.  I want to lead my children by example.  I don't want my daughter to fall into the trap of a girl's night out watching strippers.  Her desire is to find a man who looks to the Lord in order to seek favor with her.  Why would a man like that want a woman who drools over any Tom, Dick or Harry that flaunts his business for the world to see?  I want my sons to grow up to respect women, to honor them and love them as Christ loves the church.  Not play Russian roulette hoping they find a woman who has remained pure.  Where are the women and men who will teach their sons and daughters how important this is?  It's up to us to change our lifestyles, the hobbies and hangouts, even perhaps the friends we choose.  I know we've had to make those adjustments in our life for just such reasons.  We now guard our hearts.....VERY closely!  We've built a hedge around our family that will keep such temptations at bay.  By God's grace we are able to stand strong, and stand together.  

Ladies, stop fawning over Magic Mike.  Your husband/boyfriend is tired of hearing about him by now I'm sure. (and so am I)  You know you would be totally done with pics of the latest pin up model as his screen saver, or plastered on your bathroom mirror or hanging from your bedroom wall.  So why taunt and joke about such things yourself?  Look to your husband again as you once did.  When you first became attracted to him.  His features that made your stomach fill with butterflies and your heart skip a beat.  He's your real magic man.  Don't mistake that.  Don't take it for granted.  Don't spoil your heart, risk it dreaming of someone other than your husband.  There's a price to pay.  It may seem harmless and all in good fun.  But I bet the man upstairs isn't laughing.  
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment